Thursday, October 12, 2006

Born of Frustration

I still can’t get it through my thick skull that the universe does not rotate around me and that I am unable to control everything and everyone around me. I’ve been in a pissy mood all week. People are louder and more annoying, (‘they’re the same as they’ve always been, it’s just annoying you more now,’ whispers what’s left of my objective brain). I tell myself and others I don’t know why, or that it’s just the winter blues, but that’s not it. Yea I do get noticeably more depressed in the fall/winter months, but I don’t get angry. I’m angry. I’m angry and frustrated. I’m stepping down on the accelerator with all my might, but the wheels just keep spinning in place and the car refuses to budge forward. At least now I have the desire to try to get the car moving. But, as I suspect, that desire will subside in the not too distant future. That’s the scary thought, when I get to where I don’t even try to get the car moving, resign to my fate, and sink into the desolate abyss I’ve come to know so well.

I feel helpless, or as my shrink puts it, not in control of the car. I want to go to the gym, but I’m so fatigued that I fall asleep at 8:30. I wake up in the early morning and drag myself to the bike, but towards the end of the half hour get hypoglycemic and nearly pass out, even though I’d earlier eaten a piece of bread to make sure that didn’t happen. Come home to take a shower and nearly pass out in there, even though right before I ate some more. And I can’t keep eating more because I’m watching my calories. I can’t even escape when I’m asleep. I keep having anxiety dreams of being incapacitated in some way or another, unable to perform even the most menial and simple tasks.

I’m the mime in an opaque shrinking box. I’m being crushed from all sides, seconds from asphyxiation. I scream at the top of my lungs, but no sound escapes my lips. I furiously wave my limbs, yet no one sees. Succumbing to impotence I cease my futile struggles and let nature take its course.

No comments: