Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Fair

It’s not fair, it really isn’t!

Throughout much of my adolescent and adult life, I’ve searched in vane for a complimentary mate. My focus had always been on: the search, the quest, the voyage. I never contemplated what I was going to do, once I actually held the object of my desire in my arms.

Imagine my surprise upon the fruition of my elusive fantasy. It wasn’t anticlimactic like my lukewarm lunch date with a reticent high school crush. I’d finally found a true partner who reciprocated my affection and “got” me, like no one before her ever did. At long last I’d found my holy grail.

But as quickly as I’d found her, I lost my love, poof! Gone, like an illusion created with smoke and mirrors. That for which I longed a lifetime vanished right before my very eyes.

While I had not anticipated our meteoric decent, my reaction to it was nothing if not predictable. She moved on with her life and I feebly attempted to reconstruct the shattered pieces of mine. Our precious bond lay dormant but alive.

She will never leave my thoughts. I don’t know if she’ll forever remain the carrot dangling just outside of my reach, but for now I will delay my quixotic pursuit for that which I cannot hold.

Has it really been only a DAY without some form of communication? 24 measly hours? Just a single terrestrial revolution? That’s unconscionable!

I’d be willing to bet I was thought of today. That feeling isn’t all that bad when it comes down to it. Being remembered and missed, having mattered, having touched a beloved’s soul. No, not bad at all.

But, it still isn’t fair…

Then again who ever said life is supposed to be fair?

No comments: