Thursday, July 28, 2011

How Do I Hate Thee? Let Me Count The Ways

Oh how I fucking hate the South Bay. I hate the South Bay with a burning passion. I hate the South Bay with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns. I can feel my blood pressure rising every waking moment I spend in that God forsaken hell scape. And it's not just the obvious association between the South Bay and whatsherface. Oh no, my hatred for Hades predates her appearance by at least a decade.

The distortions in perspective frustrate the life out of me. A counter intuitive mishmash of identical storefronts that flaunt a style neither classic nor modern. Massive diagonal streets that run for miles and miles from the 405 in either direction, intersecting the streets that intersect the ocean and wait for it... the fucking ocean! It's like fucking Halstead!

The highway that's named for a distant coast not to be seen...the constant congestion...the mall named after a street a half a mile away...useless little access roads lined by cookie cutter blander than bland houses. I HATE them all.

Of course as the months pass, I will not so readily recall the breadth of my animus for this shit hole, and once again will convince myself that THIS time, it will be different.

Well it won't be, and for my sake I hope that THIS time I will commit my boundless contempt to memory.

No comments: