Thursday, August 25, 2011

I Sometimes Spell Check My Shopping Lists

I was thinking of remarkable moments in my life and in 2/2/2009 came up with this very random list:

In one pickup half court game at UCLA in the early 90’s I was unstoppable. Every ridiculous shot, drive, anything, it went in. Given my limited basketball skills, all my friends and I were left speechless.

Had to convince an elderly patient with a lot of health issues she needed to go into assisted living and it wasn’t such a good idea for her to be home alone. She didn’t listen to anyone, not her family, not her doctors, but to me, a lowly junior medical student, she called Zack. I felt proud and sad all at the same time.

DJing a New Year’s Eve Party ushering in 2000. We were expecting 10 – 20 people, but ended up with a crowd closer to a hundred in a tiny wood cabin in Tahoe. People dancing everywhere, inside, outside, and even on top of the kitchen counters. One of the greatest moments was when I tossed on "a risky track" for the dance floor, Papa Roach’s “Last Resort” and much to my surprise the whole place erupted!

Following the infamous ’00 party my roommate and I drove thirty hours straight from Tahoe to Milwaukee. Towards the end we were stopping every 20 minutes or so to trade shifts and were probably hallucinating along the way. We also saw a guy en route who had a 13” TV on his passenger dash, on which he was catching a sporting event while driving.

Studying with a friend and getting slap happy around 4:00 a.m. we decided it was a great idea to go to Vegas for the weekend. Hopped online, got tix, and a hotel room. One hitch, flight was out of Chicago and we lived in Milwaukee, 90 miles away. Get in the car, speeding like mad men to get to the airport and along the way we spot a McDonald's in the middle of the freeway. Not on top of the freeway like an overpass, no right smack dab in the middle of the road between the north and southbound lanes. Had it’s own dedicated entrance and exit. We couldn’t pass up the opportunity and ordered some grub. We finally get to the airport after one of Shag’s all too famous ‘detours,’ run to the gate only to find the gate has been moved, with about 5 minutes till take off. They call ahead and we run our asses off, they re-open the door and we fly off to one of the greatest Vegas getaways ever.

My freshman year @ UCLA, I wrote a scathing anonymous evaluation of my Chem professor, going on and on about how unfair and arbitrary the grading system was. I ended up getting an A in the class and a really nice letter from her, lauding my efforts and volunteering to write me a letter of rec. I felt so guilty, I never took her up on the offer.

As an Alex P. Keaton conservative in undergrad, I wrote a surprisingly elegant treatise on the virtues of the Nixon administration and it’s handling of the Arab oil embargo. To this day I shudder whenever I think about that.

No comments: